Long Eared Owl
$ 7.99 You'll get 0 points!
Long eared owls are widespread birds that live and breed in North America, Asia and Europe. Their common name comes from their long ear tufts, which help them appear larger to potential predators.
- Scientific Name: Asio otus
- Characteristics: This long eared owl is perched on a small bit of branch to give it some support. This hand-painted figurine is looking around, with its head turned to the left, perhaps scanning a field for something to eat.
- Size and Color: Our long eared owl figure is 2 ½ inches tall and 1 ½ inches long from the tips of its wings to the end of its perching branch. Its plumage is mostly dark grey, with a yellowish facial disc with white and black edges.
- The Long Eared Owl is part of the Wings of the World collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
Owls are some of the oldest birds, dating back to around 65 million years ago. Though owls are birds of prey, they are not closely related to hawks or eagles, and their closest living relatives are birds known as nightjars. Of the five subspecies of long eared owl, two can be found in the United States. They can mainly be separated from each other by the color of their prominent facial discs. Western birds have more orange-ish feathers on their faces, as can be seen in our figurine.
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 3.7 L x 4.4 W x 6.2 H
- Size in inches: 1.46 L x 1.73 W x 2.44 H